Pottery Breaks with Tarka Pottery
TARKA POTTERY is an exciting and inspiring clay experience studio in North Devon. Located in beautiful countryside with stunning views, this is a great opportunity to come and learn pottery in our well-equipped ceramics studio.
Whether you're a beginner or have some experience with clay, our pottery courses are designed to be relaxed and enjoyable. Our resident potter Jax Williams and her friendly team give helpful and friendly instruction on traditional pottery techniques such as pinch and coil pots or throwing on the wheel. Each course is tailored to the individual or group taking part.
Have a look at Tarka Pottery holidays on our Tarka Pottery website. There's lots of information about the experiences that you can book during your stay.
You can book a pottery break with self-catering accommodation, or book a pottery experience whether or not you stay with us. Suitable for hobby potters wishing to develop their skills or absolute beginners wanting to learn to throw or create with hand-building techniques.
- Self-catering pottery breaks at Glebe Cottage are available all year round
- You can book 3 or more nights accommodation with 2 days pottery tuition for 1 - 4 people
- We also offer pottery tuition and experiences for beginners or just for fun, whether you're on your own, with a partner or a larger group of family or friends.
Typically the day would begin at 10 am with an introduction, preparation of clay and outline of a schedule for the day, including a clay preparation and introduction to throwing in the morning, followed by a break for lunch. Bring your own or we can recommend a couple of lovely tea rooms - including RHS Rosemoor, just a 5-minute drive from the studio.
In the afternoon you can continue throwing or opt to do some hand-building if you'd prefer. An introduction to decorating techniques such as slips and glazing is included too.
The day is very flexible and can be designed around what you want to do. We offer a two-day experience too and ask us if you're interested in more studio time. If you're thinking of setting up your own pottery studio and would like hints and tips, including kiln stacking & firing and would like to ask about the mysteries of different clays, glazes and firing, we can arrange a bespoke break of up to 5 days, with or without accommodation.
- 1 person/one course £125 (discount for 3 or more booking)
- 1 person/two-day course £200 (discount for 3 or more booking)
Self Catering Accommodation at Glebe Cottage
If you would like accommodation, Glebe Cottage can sleep up to 4 people.
Our rates are very competitive for a comfortable and restful stay, next door to the pottery studio.
- 1 or 2 people £75/night (minimum 3 nights/off peak)
- Additional person £10/night - cottage sleeps up to 4
- 2/3 dogs welcome £20/dog/stay. Please let us know the name of your 4 legged friends when booking
- A cleaning charge of £25 is added to all bookings
We can also recommend a couple of other lovely local cottages within a 5-minute walk if Glebe Cottage isn't available, and other local accommodation within a 15-minute drive.
We look forward to seeing you.